The ISG Institute for Social Research is a privately owned, independent research institute mit Standorten in Köln (headquarter) and Berlin. The institute goes back to the Otto-Blume-Institut für Sozialforschung und Gesellschaftspolitik e.V. which was founded in 1952. In the past the institute conducted numerous scientific projects for various public institutions, among others for the German Federal Ministry of Labour and Social Affairs, the Federal Employment Agency, the German Ministry of Education and Research and the Commission of the European Union.
The scientific research focuses on
- Economic and labor market policy (head: Dr. Fuchs)
- Social policy (head: Dr. Engels)
In these fields scientific projects were conducted regarding:
- the evaluation of European Social Fund (ESF) programs,
- the evaluation of public interventions with respect to vocational training, research policy, family and social policy, safety and health at work as well as business start-up,
- the scientific monitoring and assessment of pilot projects,
- the development of concepts and strategies regarding the structural funds of the EU and local approaches to labor market and social policy as well as
- the consulting of public institutions with respect to the implementation and supervision of strategies and concepts.
Our understanding of high-quality scientific policy advice follows the „Leitlinien Politikberatung“ of the Berlin-Brandenburg Academy of Sciences. These emphasize correctly that scientific policy advice neither can nor should substitute political decisions and societal discourse.
In fact, its main task consists of preparing, enabling and critically accompanying the latter. Against this background, the major problem of scientific consultancy is to apply the knowledge generated according to scientific criteria and interests to policy relevant questions in a form which enables conclusions and recommendations that are both scientifically reasonable and politically implementable. An assessment of the latter is only possible by a dialogue of scientific advisors with decision makers.
- Civic EngagementCivic Engagement
- Companies and Start-UpsCompanies and Start-Ups
- Education and ResearchEducation and Research
- European Structural and Investment FundsEuropean Structural and Investment Funds
- Gerontology, care and rehabilitationGerontology, care and rehabilitation
- Inclusion and RehabilitationInclusion and Rehabilitation
- Integration researchIntegration research
- Labor markets and labor market policyLabor markets and labor market policy
- Safety at work and quality of workSafety at work and quality of work
- Social security and social policySocial security and social policy
Dr. Bennett, Jenny, Research Associate, Cologne Dr. Engels, Dietrich, Managing Director, Cologne Fakdani, Ferzaneh, Research Associate, Cologne Feldens, Stefan, Research Associate, Cologne Dr. Fertig, Michael, Managing Director Dr. Fuchs, Philipp, Managing Director, Cologne Hunger, Katrin, Research Associate, Berlin
Huppertz, Lisa, Research Associate Kalvelage, Georg, Research Associate, Cologne Dr. Köller, Regine, Research Associate, Cologne Loschelder, Christian, Research Associate, Cologne Dr. Matta, Vanita, Research Associate, Cologne Maur, Christine, Research Associate, Cologne Micic, Uta, Research Associate, Cologne Mielenz, Maik Oliver, Research Associate, Cologne Porwol, Franziska, Research Associate, Cologne Puxi, Marco, Head of ISG-Berlin Office Roth, Eva, Research Associate, Berlin Dr. Scheller, Friedrich, Research Associate, Cologne Schmitz, Alina, Research Associate, Cologne Scholz, Anne-Marie, Research Associate, Cologne Seidel, Katja, Research Associate, Berlin Verbeek, Hans, Deputy Head of ISG-Berlin Office Viedenz, Jürgen, Research Associate, Cologne